[tahoe-dev] XSRF attacks -- we need to do something about v0.5

Brian Warner warner at allmydata.com
Tue Aug 21 19:21:37 UTC 2007

> As usual, I want Brian's feedback on this proposal.

To be honest, I'm not that concerned about it at this stage. I think that
everybody knows this is still highly experimental software. But I wouldn't
object to such a notice on the front page. It might also be sufficient to encourage users to choose a random port number for their webport.

I think we should implement the random-string-prefix on the URL mentioned in
#98. I also think we should push the CLI interface towards supplying a
--nodedir or --basedir argument (from which a URL is derived by looking at
the config files therein) rather than a --baseurl argument. Then we can
comfortably make --basedir=~/.tahoe by default and establish a convention for
where a tahoe node runs. If a user wants to use somebody else's node, they
can give a --baseurl argument to override all that, but I think the most
common case will be a user connecting to their own personal node.

I think we could also release an 0.5.1 with such a random-prefix change soon,
perhaps by the end of the week, before making any other CLI changes.