[tahoe-dev] a good google tech talk video

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sat Dec 1 05:12:41 UTC 2007

I just had a date with my wife Amber in which we watched the Google
Tech Talk video starring Van Jacobson.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6972678839686672840

I picked it out because it was in the top ten most highly rated
google tech talk videos and because Van Jacobson is justly famed for
TCP/IP congestion avoidance (as well as multicast media tools, and
RTP, and probably other stuff), and because it promised to reveal the
next paradigm shift in network after the 20th-century paradigm shift
from telephony to packet-switching.

Guess what?  Not to spoil the ending, but Jacobson's vision for
newfangled networking has a lot in common with tahoe.

It's pretty good.  I especially enjoyed the historical context,
although I am skeptical that ARPAnet used 56 Kb/s acoustic couplers.
56 Kb/s?  Did they really have that in 1971?  Maybe he meant 56 baud.