[tahoe-dev] User management

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sun Dec 2 05:53:30 UTC 2007

Francesco:

There's nothing stupid about you and your friends wanting the share
the ability to start and stop a tahoe node.  That kind of thing is
what the unix group permissions scheme was designed for.  But for
many users of unix systems nowadays, the unix group permissions are
not as convenient as instead creating a new account and giving each
participant the password to that new account.  However, you can't do
that as easily, and there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to
do it using unix group permissions.

However, since we typically use the other pattern (creating a
separate account and giving its password to everyone who should be
able to start and stop the tahoe node), then tahoe isn't fully
compatible with it.  We already discussed the issue with "chmod
0600", and also Brian's message made me aware that when you execute
"tahoe" to stop a currently running node, it probably won't be able
to stop it unless your account was the one that was used to start
it.  (Since the operating system doesn't let you kill processes that
are running under someone else's unix account.)