[tahoe-dev] [Allmydata Tahoe] #115: distributed dirnodes

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Dec 25 23:06:54 UTC 2007

On Dec 25, 2007, at 8:27 AM, zooko wrote:

> Yay!  Thank you!
>
> Now once we add the "create a directory" button to the welcome page
> then v0.7.0 is feature complete, and awaits only some clean-up (such
> as "# XXX HELP I AM YUCKY!" [1]), and a lot of documentation (of
> which I have some written here).

Oh, the button is already there: [1].  Hooray!

So tahoe 0.7.0 is now feature-complete!  Now I will clean up "XXX
HELP I AM YUCKY!".

And here are a few more items listed in the trac ticket #115:

  * Document POST /uri?t=mkdir in webapi.txt [2].
  * Lots of other documentation updates, many of which Josh and I
have in local sandboxes here at my mom's farm in New Mexico.

and in trac ticket #233:

As per this earlier tahoe-dev message [3], we also need to:

     * Document the fact that when you create a directory (or upload
a file, or overwrite a mutable file), that the set of peers that your
file will be stored on is probably "some of the peers that are
currently connected" (up to 10 of them, usually).
     * Remove the code that makes the automatic private directory (or
"private vdrive"), makes the start.html page, and links to the
start.html page from the front page.
     * Replace it with documentation (possibly on-page?) that explain
that if you want a private directory then you create one with the
"create a directory" button and you don't share it with anyone else,
and to explain that if you want to be able to get back to it later
then you have to bookmark it or cut and paste it to some document.
     * Document how to cut and paste it into ~/.tahoe/private/
my_private_dir.cap, so that tahoe ls will subsequently work.
     * Make it so that tahoe mkdir can create a directory even if one
doesn't exist and print out the resulting directory read-write cap.
     * Make it so that when reading out of ~/.tahoe/private/
my_private_dir.cap, it tolerates $THECAP, as well as http://
127.0.0.1:8123/uri/$THECAP, and tolerates the colons in the cap being
URL-encoded.

We'll put some improvements off to v0.7.1, see #248 -- "better
automation of management of the "root director(ies)".

Ah, so this requires some more code changes to fix the cli, so it
isn't quite "feature-complete" at this point.  But it is close.

tickets mentioned in this e-mail:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/115
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/233

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/src/allmydata/webish.py?