[tahoe-dev] help wanted: let's announce v0.7.0 to a slightly wider audience

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Dec 28 18:34:41 UTC 2007

Folks:

For the last seven months, we've announced releases of Tahoe to only
a few small audiences -- mostly just the p2p-hackers mailing list [1]
and lwn.net [2] (see The Parade of Release Notes [3]).  Combining
these two communities, I guess that between a hundred and a couple
thousand people read each release announcement.

For this release [4], we have fully decentralized files and
directories (unlike the previous release in which files were
decentralized and fault-tolerant but directories were not).

I would like to send the release announcement to a few more people.
I don't want a really wide audience, such as a slashdot headline,
which would attract the attention of perhaps a hundred thousand
people.  I want just a few hundred people who haven't previously
heard of the existence of Tahoe, who are particularly interested in
open source, secure, decentralized filesystems, and who are willing
to build from source instead of expecting precompiled binary packages.

There are two things that you can do to help:

1.  Read our documentation, especially the "introductory" or "top-
level overview" documentation from the perspective of someone who has
never heard of Tahoe before, and who might be completely unfamiliar
with some of our commonplaces, such as Python.

2.  Suggest to me a mailing list or community of people who would be
interested in learning about the existence of Tahoe.

Thanks!