[Tahoe-dev] API for tahoe

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Fri Jul 6 12:56:46 UTC 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 1:53 AM, Andy Green wrote:

> I get the feeling this is somewhat peeing against the prevailing wind,
> but is there any existing interest or plan to implement a client in
> boring old C directly using libraries that are found even in
> constrained
> embedded contexts?

Hello, Andy Green.  I'm glad to see that your Penumbra project is
coming along.

Nobody (that I know of) is planning to implement a Tahoe client in
C.  The data formats in Tahoe are portable, simple formats (e.g. the
way files are padded and erasure coded, the way directories are
encrypted, etc.), but the inter-node protocol is extremely Python-
specific, since it is built on top of Foolscap.  Also, c.f. Penumbra,
Tahoe currently assumes a (more or less) fully connected (a.k.a.
"full mesh") network topology.

Too bad Python doesn't easily run on embedded systems nowadays...