[Tahoe-dev] v0.5 and v0.6

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sun Jul 15 02:04:42 UTC 2007

Brian Warner wrote:

> I'll be upgrading our testnet to the new scheme shortly (which will
> flush all
> the current data out of there, since we've changed the storage
> format so
> drastically). Now that this problem is out of the way, we'll
> probably be
> doing an 0.5.0 release next week once we've implemented some more
> CLI tools.

So the v0.5 release is going to be the first release to feature the
API [1] and the CLI [2].  Very exciting!  As per your e-mails, it is
also going to be the first release that doesn't waste lots of disk
space when you upload many small files.

I'm happy with the plan of fixing these issues before making the v0.5
release:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/query?
status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&groupdesc=1&group=priority&co
mponent=code&milestone=0.5.0&order=priority

Looking beyond that, I'm interested in addressing at least some of
the following issues for the next release, which I suppose will be
named 0.6:

Functionality issues:
  * web upload uses up lots of RAM (#29)

Long-term plan for data integrity and stability:
  * add a check block to the front of the plaintext, to verify the
correct key (#86)
  * shares should have a layout version number in them (#90)

Packaging / building / porting:
  * consider using setuptools for tahoe (#15)
  * remove the "build" step in the "edit, build, run" cycle (#82)
  * "client node probably started" (#71)
  * clean up after yourself when told to "make clean" (#10)
  * use pyutil as a separate package and contribute src/allmydata/
util/* into pyutil (#47)
  * consider using setuptools for tahoe (#15)
  * make should complain about missing pyopenssl (#42)
  * port memory usage tests to windows (#54)
  * twistd can't find its pid file on Windows (#27)

User interface:
  * peer info in user interface (#32)

Tests / Usage Measurements / Instrumentation (hee hee!):
  * collect stats on download counts, testnet utilization (#13)
  * make check-memory is broken (#79)

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/docs/webapi.txt
[2] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/53

tickets mentioned in this message: