[Tahoe-dev] [p2p-hackers] announcing Allmydata Tahoe

EdPimentl edpimentl at gmail.com
Fri May 4 04:17:28 UTC 2007

Look into http://datr.ws also.
-E

On 5/2/07, zooko at zooko.com <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> Dear p2p-hackers:
>
> Allmydata, Inc. [1], provider of the "Allmydata" consumer backup product,
> is
> pleased to announce the first public release of "Tahoe", a secure,
> distributed storage grid with a free-software licence.
>
> The source code that we are releasing is the current working prototype for
> Allmydata's next-generation product.  This release is targeted at hackers
> who
> are willing to use a minimal, text-oriented web user interface.
>
> This prototype is not recommended for storage of confidential data nor for
> data which is not otherwise backed up, but it already implements a
> functional
> distributed storage grid and is useful for experimentation, prototyping,
> and
> extension.
>

> LICENCE
>
> Tahoe is offered under the GNU General Public License (v2 or later), with
> the
> added permission that, if you become obligated to release a derived work
> under this licence (as per section 2.b), you may delay the fulfillment of
> this obligation for up to 12 months.
>

> INSTALLATION
>
> This release of Tahoe works and passes all unit tests on Linux/x86,
> Linux/amd64, Mac/Intel, Mac/PPC, Windows-native, and Cygwin.
>
> To install, download the tarball [2], untar it, go into the resulting
> directory, and follow the directions in the README [3].
>

> USAGE
>
> Once installed, create a "client node".  Instruct this client node to
> connect
> to a specific "introducer node" by means of config files in the client
> node's
> working directory.  To join a public grid, copy in the .furl files for
> that
> grid.  To create a private grid, run your own introducer, and copy its
> .furl
> files.  See the README for step-by-step instructions.
>
> Each client node runs a local webserver (enabled by writing the desired
> port
> number into a file called 'webport').  The front page of this webserver
> shows
> the node's status, including which introducer is being used and which
> other
> nodes are connected.  Links from the status page lead to others that give
> access to a shared virtual filesystem, in which each directory is
> represented
> by a separate page.  Each directory page shows a list of the files
> available
> there, with download links, and forms to upload new files.
>
> Other ways to access the filesystem are planned, as well as other
> structures
> than the single globally-shared namespace implemented by this release:
> please
> see the roadmap.txt [5] for some rough details.

> [...]

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Ed
Mail:   edpimentl[at]gmail.com
Mail2: edpimentl[at]ieee.org
IM:     edpimentl [AOL | Jabber | Yahoo | MSN ]
Voip:   edpimentl [SKype | GoogleTalk ]

Mobile Content Marketing/Management/Digital Delivery
http://mobilecentral.ws

Mobile ( Context Aware, AmbientIntelligence, Location ) based Social Network
http://TagR.mobi (Alpha)

Mobile Payment - P2P Payment
http://agilepay.ws

Private Label Social Networks
http://GooGaYa.com

Sponsor of P2PSIP  open source [viasip_ng] project
Based on IETF P2PSIP WG
https://sourceforge.net/projects/viasip/
http://groups.google.com/group/viasip_ng