[tahoe-dev] note about how to build pycryptopp on Mac OS X

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Nov 7 21:42:13 UTC 2007

Brian:

As far as I can tell, the solution to the mystery about why
pycryptopp wouldn't link to libcryptopp.a on your system is:

At least on Mac OS X, g++'s search for libraries will follow symlinks
out of any directory except for /usr/lib.

You can test this hypothesis by taking your non-working setup, with
libcryptopp symlinked from /usr/lib/libcryptopp.a, and "-L/usr/lib"
on the g++ command-line, and change it into an otherwise identical
setup, but with libcryptopp symlinked from some other directory and -
Lthat_other_directory on the command-line.  The latter works.

My brief googling didn't turn up any confirmation or explanation.

I've added a pycryptopp TODO to document and/or work-around this in
the future.