[tahoe-dev] unit test failure on Windows

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sun Sep 9 16:58:27 UTC 2007

The current trunk of Tahoe fails a unit test on Windows because it
doesn't set file permissions on the "secret" file.

How to actually do that correctly is a mystery to me.  Here are a
couple of documents that I have been reading:

"The Windows Access Control Model Part 1"
http://www.codeproject.com/win32/accessctrl1.asp

Okay, I guess that all sort of makes sense, but it can't *really* be
this complicated to set a policy on a file or directory to say that
the file or directory is "private", can it?  ...can it?

set_file_audit.py -- example code from the python-win32 package
http://www.koders.com/python/
fid30BF33676390CDEDA9283C3B4368ED58D34363EC.aspx

Okay, I can sort of understand what this is doing, but how would one
construct a policy of "private" using this tool?  If denies are all
checked before allows are checked, then you can't, for example, add a
Deny-All and an Allow-Me, right?

The fact that there is a test failure but the buildbot [1] is green
reminds me that ticket #7 is still open [2].  I've assigned it to
Zandr and added a request for a Windows-native buildslave for Tahoe.

[1] http://allmydata.org/buildbot/
[2] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/7