[tahoe-dev] how to squeeze a CHK URI

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Sep 24 21:22:12 UTC 2007

Brian:

Thanks!  You make all good points about the different things that
could be included in URIs -- encoding params, filesize, and human-
readable URI type.

I accidentally dramatized my interest in smaller URIs when I sent my
earlier mail to tahoe-dev:

http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2007-September/000153.html

GNU Mailman line-wrapped the longer example URIs, resulting in broken
hyperlinks on the web archive, in my mail reader (Apple Mail.app) and
in Peter's mail reader Thunderbird.  How did it get represented in
your emacs mail reader?

Hm..  I see that Mailman wrapped them at the "%" character.  I wonder
what it does with long URLs that don't have funny chars in them?

Anyway, this demonstrates the reason why short URIs can be valuable.