[tahoe-dev] [cap-talk] Demonstrations and explanations (was: Re: Avoid overconfidence)

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Apr 9 22:54:03 UTC 2008

[Adding Cc: tahoe-dev.  I took the list of all 282 of the publicly
listed subscribers to cap-talk and added them to the list of posters
whose postings are automatically approved to tahoe-dev.  Going the
other direction, if you are a subscriber to tahoe-dev and you want to
post something to cap-talk, you should probably subscribe to cap-talk
first.]

On Apr 8, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> Other than that, I agree with Ivan's suggestions and your latest
> reactions. Tahoe would indeed be a good system to target. Please don't
> respond to this message. Write Tahoe explanations instead ;).
> Capitalize on Ivan's generous offer while it lasts!

Folks:

I'm honored and frightened at the prospect that Tahoe could be used
as a practical example of capabilities.

(The reason for the "frightened" part is that I would hate for any
mistakes or bad fortune on our part to be misinterpreted as a flaw in
the access control theory itself.)

I cannot personally commit the time to contribute to a document on
the theoretical underpinings of Tahoe, but I do have an ongoing
obligation to make the "user docs" and "developer docs" for Tahoe be
correct, sufficient, and up-to-date.

November [1], I wrote up the Tahoe about.html [2], which is currently
the best starting point for understanding the Tahoe architecture.

[1] http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2007-November/000222.html
[2] http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/trunk/docs/about.html