[tahoe-dev] Multiple introducers

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Apr 15 04:15:51 UTC 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 9:53 PM, Chris Goffinet wrote:
> I just dived into Tahoe and so far it seems really neat.

Welcome!

> I had one
> question. What happens when the system that is running the introducer
> goes down? The peers can't connect. How could one go about setting up
> multiple introducers and having the clients connect to any random
> introducer that would be up without editing the introducer.furl ?

This is a good question.  We've cooked up a scheme to do this
("decentralized introducers"), but we haven't gotten around to
implementing it, since a single introducer is good enough for now for
the allmydata.com backup service.

Here's the ticket:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/68#comment:11

(Skip to the end of the ticket to see the simple scheme that I
currently want.  There are a few other ideas along the way that are
no longer uppermost on my mind.)

If some good Python hacker out there wants to start adding
improvements to Tahoe, I would be very happy to see them start with
this ticket.  Be aware that we don't accept patches into trunk
without unit tests and documentation.  If you do get a patch into
Tahoe then you get your name in the CREDITS file.