[tahoe-dev] crypto notes

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Aug 1 15:19:31 UTC 2008

Folks:

I updated the allmydata.org Bibliography page [1] to include the
following notes in the "symmetric cryptography" section:

Salsa20 Design [2] -- a fast and secure cipher

Salsa20 Security Arguments [3] -- why Salsa20 is probably safe
against this and that threat

EnRUPT [4] -- a very simple, fast, and flexible primitive which could
be used as stream cipher, secure hash function, or MAC (the first two
are primitives that we currently need, and the third one -- MAC -- is
a primitive that we may want in the future) and which relies for its
security on a large number of rounds. The question of how many rounds
to use is decided by semi-automated cryptanalysis.

defectoscopy.com [5] -- a table of semi-automated cryptanalysis
results from the inventors of EnRUPT. This technique is not well
accepted by the mainstream of cryptographers. I (Zooko) can't judge
how valid it is. Note that Tiger is one of only two hash functions
that are predicted to be secure by this analysis -- the other is
Whirlpool. MD-4/5, SHA-0/1/2, and GOST are predicted to be insecure.

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/Bibliography
[2] http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.59.9522
[3] http://cr.yp.to/snuffle.html#security
[4] http://enrupt.com/