[tahoe-dev] paper describing Tahoe for the Storage Security and Survivability Workshop

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Aug 18 23:21:04 UTC 2008

Folks:

Here is the final version of the paper:

"Tahoe -- The Least-Authority Filesystem"

http://allmydata.org/~zooko/lafs.pdf

Abstract:

Tahoe is a system for secure, distributed storage.  It uses
capabilities for
access control, cryptography for confidentiality and integrity, and
erasure
coding for fault-tolerance.  It has been deployed in a commercial
backup service
and is currently operational.  The implementation is Open Source.

This final version of the paper has colorful crypto diagrams thanks
to Josh Wilcox. The diagrams plus the edits suggested by the
StorageSS reviewers have made this into a much clearer summary of the
Tahoe architecture.

It also contains graphs showing how many connected users, total
files, and aggregate file size is stored on the allmydata.com grid,
thanks to Peter.

I'm excited about getting this paper peer reviewed and published into
the scientific literature, and I look forward to presenting it at the
big security conference in October.

Comments are welcome!