[tahoe-dev] Compilation and using problems with tahoe 1.2.0 on many platforms ?

denis.bonnenfant denis.bonnenfant at diderot.org
Mon Dec 1 14:40:48 UTC 2008

zooko a écrit :
> Denis:
>
> Thank you for the details about glibc dependency in the python-zfec
> package.  I will work on that (tahoe ticket #498).
>
> I have some more questions about your experience using the install docs.
>

>>> I don't understand why you didn't read the doc that I wrote -- the
>>> one named '"Install Tahoe"'.  That doc isn't perfect -- if you had
>>> followed it you may well have had the same or similar problems.
>>> But I am confused about why several people, including you, have
>>> for some reason skipped that document when trying to install.
>>>
>> I tested it item by item ! (and for ubuntu it worked perfectly) But
>> for windows there is about nothing describing the compilation
>> process ! In "More details" page there are some indications, but
>> i'm not python expert, nor win32 developper at all... I don't
>> understand clearly the python compilation process on win32. Does
>> the setup.py has to be launched by win32 python.exe, or the cygwin
>> one ?
>>

> I am still confused about what you read -- the currently version of
> install.html does not mention "setup.py".  The document that I mean
> is this one:
>
> http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/trunk/docs/install.html
>
> Is that the one that you started with?  Did you attempt to follow the
> directions on that page
For linux, yes, and it worked as expected  for etch and ubuntu ( for
Sarge it's another point, as I had to install manually python2.4 and
some dependancies, and find a compatible version of twisted, and patch
some files in twisted, as there is a bug in this version...).

For Windows, the problem is : which make to use ?  cygwin one ? gnuwin32
one ? or some other....   Again, which compiler ? standalone MinGW ?
CygWin one ? VCxx ?  and again, which shell , cmd ?, cygwin's bash ?

Maybe you have to be more explicit, particularly for linux users, that
aren't necessarly aware of Win32 subtilities :)
Or provide a windows binary installer !  I Used the allmydata client
one, but it is a little bit hacky...

> or did you skip that page and go to the
> "InstallDetails" page on the wiki?

So then i try the installDetails page for windows, and the easy_install
process, but there are many dependancies problems, particularly with
OpenSSL, and i had to patch  lib\distutils\cygcompiler.py to allow
linking with cygwin.

> If you didn't attempt to follow those directions, I would really like
> to understand why you didn't.

Because any kind of make never succeeds in windows :)

> If you did so attempt, I would really like to understand why it
> didn't work.  :-)

Maybe my windows system is a little bit corrupted !   I will try the
process on a fresh one, but before that i have to know exactly what are
exactly the dev tools to install :)

regards,

Denis