[tahoe-dev] File size problem

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Wed Dec 3 02:42:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:07:01 +0100
Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw at lug-owl.de> wrote:

> As the next step, I tried to upload a file (32472771 bytes) through
> the web frontend, which resulted in two issues:
>
>   * When is `ps axflwww'ed the process' memory usage, I saw that the
>     python instance that ran the connection where I uploaded the 31MB
>     file grew beyond 300MB of VSZ. I better keep my brain away from
>     thinking about uploading a gigabyte sized file on a 32bit
>     system...

I just added ticket #545 to track this issue. I think it's a new version of a
problem we've seen before, in which an error-handling path uses a lot more
memory than it should. It's finite, but it can keep the CPU pretty busy as it
swaps like crazy. I don't know if we'll get it fixed before the imminent
1.3.0 release, but if not it'll be fixed shortly thereafter (by using a small
amount of memory before returning an error message).

#545: http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/545