[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #536: port number conflict: 8123 is (or was) used by polipo and is blocked by TorButton

tahoe-lafs trac at allmydata.org
Sat Dec 6 13:29:00 UTC 2008

#536: port number conflict: 8123 is (or was) used by polipo and is blocked by
TorButton
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
     Reporter:  zooko              |       Owner:
         Type:  defect             |      Status:  reopened
    Component:  code-frontend-web  |     Version:  1.2.0
   Resolution:                     |    Keywords:
Launchpad_bug:                     |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Comment(by zooko):

 I'm pretty sure VAT doesn't mind if we use its port number, because it is
 dead.  I worked in the VoIP field for a few years (2002, 2004, 2005) and I
 never heard of it.  (By the way, Van Jacobson is a great Internet
 engineer, and since his recent enthusiasm is "Content-centric networking"
 -- http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6972678839686672840 -- I'm
 hoping he'll notice Tahoe.  ;-))

 I agree with you that having a single fixed port number as the default and
 as used in the docs is useful for new users.

 So, as far as I can tell, the current trunk with the default port and docs
 being 3456, plus appropriate controls on the part of allmydata.com to make
 sure that nodes they deploy use 8123, should be good enough.

--
Ticket URL: <http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/536#comment:10>
tahoe-lafs <http://allmydata.org/>