[tahoe-dev] String encoding in tahoe

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Dec 23 00:33:21 UTC 2008

Hm...

Okay, after testing on my Macbook Pro, I committed François's patch
[1], and some related patches of my own [2, 3, 4].  This fixed the
cli tests on Ubuntu Feisty -- hooray!  But it broke the test on
cygwin, GNU/OpenSolaris, Windows, and ArchLinux -- boo!  See the
buildbot for details [5].

I guess that it is incorrect to assume that the Python strings that
appear in sys.argv are utf-8 encoded.  They could be in some other
encoding.  Although even if that is a problem, that might not be the
problem that is currently breaking GNU/OpenSolaris and Windows.  Any
ideas?  I'm pretty fuzzy on unicode issues.

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/changeset/3309
[2] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/changeset/3306
[3] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/changeset/3307
[4] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/changeset/3308