[tahoe-dev] some papers on disk-drive reliability

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Dec 31 19:23:26 UTC 2008

I just stumbled across a couple of interesting papers on how reliable
disk drives are in the long term. We've kicked around the idea of
spinning down redundant disks (to save power and maybe increase their
lifetime).. it turns out this technique has a name: MAID (Massive Array
of Idle Disks).

   http://www.lockss.org/locksswiki/files/ISandT2008.pdf
   http://www.bl.uk/ipres2008/presentations_day2/43_Rosenthal.pdf

The second paper gets into some of the quantitative analysis that we've
also been kicking around, trying to find a useful metric with which to
discuss the lifetime of a given piece of data.

Also interesting was the mention that 2.5" drives are more suitable to
spindown-longevity than 3.5", because 2.5" drives use an off-platter
parking area, while 3.5" drives park the heads on an otherwise-unused
portion of the platter (so the heads still touch the platter, and
corrosion eventually takes place at the point of contact).