[tahoe-dev] a new name for "the allmydata.org 'Tahoe' project"?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Feb 29 16:08:25 UTC 2008

Folks:

The name "tahoe" originally started as the code name for the project
within allmydata.com to start fresh on a new secure, decentralized
storage grid.

"Tahoe" means, to many people a certain BSD 4.3 release [1] in 1998.
I encountered a few of these people recently.  For example, here is
the google result for the search "tahoe release": [2].

It is, of course, not a great search term in other queries, since it
collides with a certain lake/mountain/area in California/Nevada.

Tahoe isn't the name of the product -- that's Allmydata 3.0
(currently in beta).  It isn't the name of the domain -- http://
allmydata.org , and if the Tahoe filesystem becomes mature and
successful enough to be meticulously documented, discussed, or
reimplemented, then people will start calling it "The Tahoe
Filesystem", and then they'll start abbreviating it "TFS", which of
course collides with the names of several other filesystems.

I propose that we act pre-emptively and start referring to the
filesystem design itself as LAUGHFS.  That stands for "Least
Authority Unmanaged Grid Hsomething File System".  :-D

[1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/kirkmck.html
[2] http://google.com/search?q=tahoe+release