[tahoe-dev] Initial tahoe-fuse debug.

Nathan nejucomo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 01:11:28 UTC 2008

Earlier I posted that I briefly tried tahoe-fuse with a post 0.7.0
source checkout from trunk, and it didn't work at all like I expected.
 I have a virtual machine image from that very hackfest, so I verified
that configuration still works, and ran these commands:

$ dpkg -s python-fuse | grep ^Version
Version: 2.5-5build1

$ make make-version
python misc/make-version.py "allmydata-tahoe" "src/allmydata/_version.py"
wrote '0.6.1-191' into src/allmydata/_version.py

-I believe that virtual machine runs Feisty Fawn (ubuntu v7.04).
Compare that to the new configuration that seems totally broken, which
is on an ubuntu 7.10 vm:

$ dpkg -s python-fuse | grep ^Version
Version: 1:0.2-pre3-3

$ make make-version
python ./setup.py darcsver
darcsver is <module 'darcsver' from
'/home/n/sandbox/tahoe-trunk/darcsver-1.0.0-py2.5.egg/darcsver/__init__.pyc'>
running darcsver

-Hmm...  It doesn't display the version like it used to, so:
$ grep verstr src/allmydata/_version.py
verstr = "0.7.0-3"
__version__ = Version(verstr)

-Notice the wild discrepency between the two python-fuse versions.  I
believe the breakage is mostly due to python-fuse and not Tahoe.  The
breakage I've seen is simply that the underlying python-fuse semantics
have changed so logging no longer works which obscures further sources
of error.  So far I've been unimpressed with python-fuses api design
and documentation.  This packaging issue is another mark against
(although perhaps different people are responsible).  So, I'm tempted
to write my own python fuse bindings.  First, things, first, however:
I'd like to make tahoe-fuse.py a solid component of Tahoe.  My next
two goals are to write how-to install/config docs (with dependency
info) and to implement a set of automated tests.  If anyone would like
to help, jump right in.