[tahoe-dev] my blog on an decentralized filesystem

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jan 14 20:09:40 UTC 2008

Folks:

If you have tahoe running locally, you can see my new blog here:

http://127.0.0.1:8123/uri/URI:SSK-
RO:jnhcfqz5ctcwf1bh94mo9nd9hw:espk5dw7t7bq6xwqdn1hj1c5t6g9gywn76gmn7edsp
mqctebxxio?filename=zooko_blog.html#%5B%5B14%20January%202008%5D%5D

If you don't have tahoe running locally, you can use a public web
gateway into tahoe that I am currently running, here:

http://nooxie.zooko.com:8123/uri/URI:SSK-
RO:jnhcfqz5ctcwf1bh94mo9nd9hw:espk5dw7t7bq6xwqdn1hj1c5t6g9gywn76gmn7edsp
mqctebxxio?filename=zooko_blog.html#%5B%5B14%20January%202008%5D%5D

This comes close to implementing a dream that Nejucomo suggested to
me last week when I was in San Francisco: the serverless web app.
The dream is that you should be able to edit your wiki and save your
edits, all without leaving the HTML (AJAX, whatever) UI of the web
app itself, and all without relying on any single, central server.
This blog that I've just launched comes close to that dream, but I
have to leave the UI in order to save my changes -- Tiddly Wiki knows
how to save files to local disk but not how to push them back to the
server from which it came.  (This is somewhat ironic, considering
that JavaScript has traditionally been disallowed from local
filesystem access and had to use its server, but anyway...)

Tiddly Wikis are much easier to adapt to Tahoe than traditional
wikis, because while traditional wikis generally want to use a rich,
programmatic, databasey backend running on their server such as PHP/
MySQL, Zope, etc., a Tiddly Wiki expects only to be able to load and
save whole files in one gulp.  Accordingly, it is probably only a
small patch to this Tiddly Wiki software:

http://127.0.0.1:8123/uri/URI%3ADIR2-RO%3Asuacsypzynfb19ofst4gbju8oa%
3A5uy5kfhj8ee9yku6re1cwo6hxbasgfp3ij8gyr537gjnnxygsk6y/

To make the saveFile() function work by doing an HTTP put back to the
server from whence it came instead of saving to a local file.

This could be very interesting.  :-)