[tahoe-dev] Error in WUI?

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Mon Jul 7 22:05:27 UTC 2008

Does the Welcome page (the root) confirm that you are attached to an
Introducer and some Storage Servers?

> In particular, when I go to http://127.0.0.1:8123/ and then click on the
> "Create Directory!" button, I'm taken to the expected page.

That page has a "Directory SI=..." and an empty table of
"Filename/Type/Size/.." items, right? And a bunch of buttons at the bottom to
upload files? It should have a URL like "/uri/URI%3ADIR2%3A[cryptostuff]/".
The trailing slash may be important: at one point we had a bug which didn't
do the addSlash=True properly, and many of the (relative) links from the
directory-listing page won't work unless they are coming from a page with a
trailing slash.

We had a bug until this morning in which a client node that wasn't attached
to any storage servers wouldn't behave very well. In particular, if you tried
to retrieve an existing directory (before you'd attached to the servers), the
operation would hang instead of returning an error. The Nevow page which
shows that directory would show the first few items (Refresh this View,
Return to Welcome Page), but the data_ method that fetched the directory and
unpacked its contents (to populate the table) would return a Deferred that
never fired, and therefore the page render would not get past that point. I
don't know if this is what's happening to you.

(The Tahoe node needs to be connected to an Introducer, and from the
Introducer it learns about the storage servers it can use. Feel free to use
our public test grid for this purpose:
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/TestGrid has details.)

If that's not the problem.. hm.

> However, on this page, many of the links/form submissions don't
> work. I get the following error:
>     '' is not a valid file- or directory- cap

The "Attach a file or directory (by URI)" form requires a filecap or
directorycap in the "URI of new child" field: I'd expect to see that error if
you pushed the "Attach" button without filling in that field. Most of the
other buttons at the bottom of the directory page require that you provide a
filename first.

> The following clicks result in the error:
>   * Refresh this view
>   * Create (entering any or no dir name produces the error)
>   * Upload

If "Refresh this view" causes an error, that sounds like the URL is just
plain broken.

hopefully it's the trailing slash thing.. if not, let me know and we'll
diagnose it further.