[tahoe-dev] Tahoe illustration suggestion

Jed Donnelley capability at webstart.com
Sat Jul 12 19:23:20 UTC 2008

At 08:53 AM 7/12/2008, zooko wrote:

>On Jul 12, 2008, at 2:11 AM, Peter Secor wrote:
>
> > Very cool!
>
>Yeah, sweet!

I also found this demo illustrative.

However, with regard to:

>Oh, and then I used "view source" and found this:
>
>http://bigasterisk.com/tahoe-playground/sim.js
>
>Heh.  I have to admit that I actually thought Drew had hooked up a
>real Tahoe node on the back-end until I saw the source.  Pretty good
>simulator!  :-)

I think it goes without saying that the "simulator" would be more
accurate if it indeed had a Tahoe node as a back end.  Perhaps that
is too much for "illustration"?

Still, this approach could lead to some confusion.  For example, I
notice there are many more characters in the encrypted data than
there are in the sum of the shares.  Is this realistic?

Regardless, it seems a nice illustration that I can use with
friends and colleagues.  I just wonder how much of a disclaimer
I need to provide when using it as such an illustration.

--Jed  http://www.webstart.com/jed-signature.html