[tahoe-dev] Fwd: [cap-talk] Don't put capabilities in argv?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sun Jul 13 01:59:55 UTC 2008

[adding Cc: cap-talk; As an admin of tahoe-dev, I have just added all
known
cap-talk subscribers to the automatic-accept list for tahoe-dev, so
if you are
reading this on cap-talk and you reply to both lists your reply will
go through
to tahoe-dev.  On the other hand if you are reading this on tahoe-dev
and you
reply to both lists your reply will probably not go through to cap-
talk unless
you first subscribe to cap-talk.]

On Jul 12, 2008, at 16:18 PM, Ben Hyde wrote:

 > The usual work around is to overwrite your argv.  In fact some
people enjoy
 > displaying process status that
 > way. <http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/readproctitle.html

Thanks for the suggestion, Ben.  That suggestion and others are now
being
discussed on the cap-talk mailing list [1].

David Wagner suggested what you suggested, and Kevin Reid's reply
(which is what
I was thinking, too) was:

while true; do ps axww | grep cap: >> gathered done

Kevin also gave various arguments why leaking your authority to
everyone who can
run ps on your operating system might not always be a show-stopper.

But I guess I'll probably get comfortable with having all caps on the
tahoe
command-line represented by their aliases instead of by the actual
capability.
I really like the Python motto: "There is only one way to do it.", so
I'm
inclined to try to make the aliases mechanism good enough for most
purposes and
deprecate the caps-on-the-command-line mechanism entirely.

[1] http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/cap-talk/2008-July/date.html