[tahoe-dev] Cleanest way to use Tahoe and MinorFs together?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Jul 22 00:37:32 UTC 2008

Dear Rob Meijer:

I'm sorry I haven't replied to your queries sooner about how to use
Tahoe and MinorFS together.  The reason is that I don't really
understand MinorFS well enough to answer.

I read this entire thread on cap-talk with interest:

"[cap-talk] MinorFS Philosophy"
http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/cap-talk/2008-July/011100.html

and I thought it was good that you were exploring the idea of having
a component which is directly controlled by the user (e.g. a unix
shell connected to a tty, or a GUI that the user is interacting with
directly) but which is, as you put it "somewhere halfway in the
delegation chain".

It sounds intuitively like a good idea, or at least one that ought to
be explored in contrast with the Powerbox idea, where the user has
direct interactive control of the component (the Powerbox) which has
all the authority.

However, I don't really understand how a person would use MinorFS.  I
gather that it is a FUSE plugin, but I would have to read the
documents and experiment with it before I even started to form ideas
about how MinorFS and Tahoe could both be used by the same users.

Maybe people who use or hack on the Tahoe FUSE plugin more than I do
would have some ideas.

Thanks!