[tahoe-dev] Fwd: [cap-talk] Don't put capabilities in argv?

Aleksandr Milewski zandr at allmydata.com
Tue Jul 22 03:57:20 UTC 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 6:31 PM, zooko wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2008, at 19:26 PM, Aleksandr Milewski wrote:
>> For very small values of nice. Seriously, *don't* remove the ability
>> to put caps directly on the command line. I have no untrusted users
>> on
>> my linux box, and am genetically predisposed against systems trying
>> protect me against myself.
>
> Thank you for your feedback, Zandr.
>
> So, I take it you find the syntax above to be much worse than the
> argv equivalent, which is something like:
>
> tahoe put helloworld.txt URI:DIR2:ovjy4yhylqlfoqg2vcze36dhde:
> 4d4f47qko2xm5g7osgo2yyidi5m4muyo2vjjy53q4vjju2u55mfa

I do find it much worse, yes. I'm all for allowing a mechanism to keep
caps out of the process table, but I don't want to make the software
harder to use in cases where that protection is irrelevant.

FWIW, I disagree with the argument against rewriting argv at all, but
I'm not well prepared to argue that point. :)