[tahoe-dev] Fwd: [cap-talk] Don't put capabilities in argv?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Jul 23 03:09:30 UTC 2008

(Re-adding the cap-talk mailing list because they might be interested
in the general question of what sorts of command-line tools could be
invented to manage caps.)

(and in an earlier message, Zandr wrote:)

> am genetically predisposed against systems trying to
> protect me against myself.

Quite right.  Many security engineers seem to think that they know
better than their users do how the users ought to value security vs.
other values such as usability and performance.  I have little
sympathy for that attitude.

I understand that you are satisfied with trusting all code and users
that get to run on your systems, and I understand that Brian is
satisfied with using the aliases file to manage caps.  I'm glad of that!

However I remain interested in whether there could be a tool which
was useful to people who were not satisfied by either of these
approaches -- a tool which would allow people to use caps directly on
the command-line while also allowing them to have untrusted users or
run untrusted code on the operating system.

I can see one possibility: shell functions and builtins don't appear
in the ps table, so for example if tahoe accepted caps on stdin, then
a bash function like this would allow convenient command-line use
while keeping the cap out of the process table entirely:

function tahoe_put {
	echo ${1} | tahoe put ${0}
}

This could then be invoked on the command line as

tahoe_put helloworld.txt URI:DIR2:ovjy4yhylqlfoqg2vcze36dhde:
4d4f47qko2xm5g7osgo2yyidi5m4muyo2vjjy53q4vjju2u55mfa

Obviously this isn't the perfect solution for everyone's use either.
For starters, you have to be using bash (or a sufficiently similar
shell), and next you have to define this function, such as by adding
it to your .bashrc, before you can use it.

But it is a potentially interesting alternative.

> FWIW, I disagree with the argument against rewriting argv at all, but
> I'm not well prepared to argue that point. :)

Yes, that's a subtle one.  I could see it either way and I would be
interested in your argument.