[tahoe-dev] Getting my root writecap for the production grid

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Wed Jul 30 22:58:40 UTC 2008

> Brian will probably comment on some of the issues associated with this and
> what will change going forward when we implement accounting.

If you're building a custom client to work against the allmydata grid,
(specifically if you're uploading important data to the allmydata grid
through non-allmydata clients), keep a careful eye on new Tahoe developments.
In particular:

 * when we implement and turn on Accounting, all clients will need a
   per-account private key to connect to the grid, and your client will need
   to do the same
 * when we implement garbage collection, clients will need to mark their
   files as being not-garbage (possibly using a timer-based expiration
   mechanism, but we're still deciding on the details). Your client will need
   to participate in this protocol to prevent your files from being
   identified as deleted/expired garbage and removed.

When we turn on these features on the production grid, we'll make an
announcement.. if that announcement doesn't give you enough information, feel
free to write back with questions.

Basically, allmydata customers using allmydata clients will get taken care of
by our usual upgrade and/or automatic maintenance code. Files added outside
this domain just need some extra attention.

Incidentally, I'm really pleased that you're working on a custom client..
we're trying to make the allmydata service into an actual flexible storage
service (you pay money for space on the production grid), as opposed to
merely a one-client backup product (you pay money for the ability to run a
windows-only program that somehow does some kind of storage thing). Clear
protocol definitions, a security model that does not depend upon keeping the
implementation secret, and a clear separation of the Tahoe system from the
AllMyData business model are all parts of this effort.