[tahoe-dev] eating my own dog food -- Zooko's hlog

Aleksandr Milewski zandr at allmydata.com
Thu Jul 31 19:21:07 UTC 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 3:13 PM, zooko wrote:

> The cool thing is, of course, that it is stored on a Tahoe grid (the
> Tahoe test grid), and the computation is done in JavaScript in my web
> browser, so it is a decentralized web app.

I started to write up a message about this the other day and got
sidetracked.

On Monday, someone asked me about a cross-platform and/or web-hosted
To-Do style app. I knew that the person asking was a TiddlyWiki fan,
so I gave him an instance of Zooko's modified TW. This uses http PUT
to store itself back into the grid.

It hadn't occurred to me how powerful this was until I tried it on the
iPhone. As some of you may know, the iPhone doesn't have a user
accessible file system, and the barrier to deployment of applications
that can use local storage is non-trivial.

Using Tahoe for persistent storage enables a whole range of
interesting web applications that could be accessible from anywhere
that has connectivity, and all the usual benefits of storing things on
Tahoe (redundancy, security) still apply.

There are a couple of bugs that I've noticed in the current
implementation. At the same time, there is a newer version (2.4) of
TiddlyWiki. I'd like to ask Zooko if he can express his changes to TW
as a patch that I can try to work into 2.4, and we can debug from there.

-Zandr