[tahoe-dev] weirdness-triggered logging and the "that was weird" button

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Jun 20 16:58:08 UTC 2008

Folks:

Brian's foolscap project [1] has a good idea in it: weirdness-
triggered logging.

The problem is that you don't want to have too little detail in your
logs when you are investigating something that has happened, but you
don't want to have too much detail in your logs during normal operation.

The solution is that foolscap keeps circular buffers of recent events
in memory, and upon detecting a sufficiently weird event, it dumps
the contents of those circular buffers.  The result is that you have
nice small quiet logs during normal operation, but you get plenty of
detail surrounding weird stuff (including, crucially, about things
that happened just *before* the weirdness was detected).

I was just noticing a problem (namely ticket #463), and it occurred
to me that the foolscap logging system doesn't necessarily know that
this is a problem, so it doesn't necessarily trigger more detailed
logging.  Therefore, it would be cool to have a button on the wui
labelled "that was weird".

[1] http://foolscap.lothar.com/trac

tickets mentioned in this e-mail:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/463 # directory isn't rendered