[tahoe-dev] updated http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/RelatedProjects
zooko at zooko.com
Thu Mar 20 16:33:15 UTC 2008
I just made a few updates to allmydata.org's "RelatedProjects" page:
Feel free to suggest additions or edits. Or, actually, just login
and edit it yourself. Here is the full content of this page at this
time (minus hyperlinks):
== Related Projects ==
These projects have no specific relationship with our project, but
they are similar in some ways and so may be of interest. We sometimes
exchange ideas with the designers of some of these projects,
especially on the p2p-hackers mailing list.
* flud backup is an ambitious decentralized data backup grid.
* cleversafe is a company that makes a distributed data storage
grid. Some of the company's projects are released under GPLv2.
* GNUnet is an anonymous, censorship-resistant, file-sharing
network. licence: GPLv2+
* Hadoop is open source, inspired by the Google File System,
written in Java, supported by Yahoo, and seems to have broad
acceptance among programmers (at least compared to the alternatives).
licence: Apache Software Licence v2.0
* Kosmos Distributed File System -- "KFS" -- is open source,
inspired by the Google File System, written in C++, and recently
announced some sort of compatibility with Hadoop. licence: Apache
Software Licence v2.0
* mogilefs is open source, inspired by the Google File System,
written in Perl and uses MySQL. It was written by the folks who made
LiveJournal. The name is an anagram for "OMG files". licence: some
combination of BSD and GPL and Artistic.
== Interesting Vaporware ==
* fluidinfo is a stealth-mode startup that is apparently doing
something creative in the realm of distributed storage. The founder,
Terry Jones, is or was a researcher in the field of artificial life
and genetic algorithms. Here's his PhD thesis. He also contributes to
the Twisted Python project. fluidinfo hasn't released any source code.
More information about the tahoe-dev