[tahoe-dev] measure your convergence

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Thu Mar 20 22:17:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:38:34 -0600
zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> Folks:
>
> Ever wondered how much storage space you would save if you and your
> friends coalesced all of your identical files?
>
> Wonder no longer!

Excellent!

> Now you can find out!  Install the "dupfilefind"
> utility [*] and run it with command-line arguments like:
>
> dupfilefind --ignore-dirs="," --min-size=32 --profiles

We should probably collect profiles of ~ (a personal home directory) and /
(the cross-user filesystem root) separately. Operating system files tend to
show up only in the latter, whereas things I've created or downloaded show up
in both. Each will have a different set of convergence statistics.

Zooko, is there an argument to specify the root directory that gets used?

A note for potential dupfilefind-installers: if you install with
--single-version-externally-managed (to use GNU stow), you'll forego the
setuptools dependency management, and then you'll need to manually install
the 'argparse' package as well:

 http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/a/argparse/argparse-0.8.0.zip#md5=fc3ac46fecf541e8ca25caeae75b1b8d