[tahoe-dev] coming soon: Tahoe v1.0!

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sat Mar 22 23:36:23 UTC 2008

Folks:

The v1.0 release of allmydata.org "Tahoe", the Least Authority
Filesystem, will be this coming week.  By marking it as version 1.0
we intend to convey:

1.  We believe that it is reasonably safe to rely on this software to
store your data -- safer, at least, than relying on RAID on your PC,
or relying on copying your data to a remote server.

and:

2.  We intend to maintain backwards-compatibility with this version
and to actively fix security or reliability issues for the forseeable
future.

Tahoe v1.0 will be completely backwards-compatible with the current
release, v0.9.  (Also with the previous release, v0.8, if anyone cares.)

The first major user of Tahoe v1.0 (as far as I know) will be http://
allmydata.com -- we at allmydata.com are already in the process of
transferring our customers' data to a Tahoe grid.

Please see The Roadmap [1] for the details of what needs to be done
in the next couple of days in order to complete v1.0.  Help is much
appreciated!  Reports of how it works for you and automated tests and
documentation are the most needed things at this point.

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/roadmap