[tahoe-dev] plans for Tahoe v1.1.0

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon May 5 22:43:42 UTC 2008

Folks:

We're planning to release a new version of Tahoe -- the first release
after our 1.0 release.

There has been one major bug discovered and fixed since the 1.0
release -- #379.  (Actually it is a worse bug than is obvious from
reading that ticket, because the Tahoe node fails silently and
returns a bogus success exit code to the wapi client.)

Attentive readers of tahoe-dev will have noticed that there is a
current issue apparent when Ben Laurie uses Tahoe: #406.

Brian Warner has nicely refactored mutable file publish and retrieval
and implemented better performance and better error handling of
mutable files and better test coverage of that code. #303 and other
tickets

There are also quite a few improvements we want to make in packaging,
documentation, and CLI (see report 23: http://allmydata.org/trac/
tahoe/report/23 ) for the coming release.

There are also a couple of "forward compatibility" changes we want to
make -- making foolscap and the Tahoe introducer protocol able have
optional fields that will be ignored by versions of Tahoe which don't
know how to handle them, but can be used by hypothetical future
versions of Tahoe to "talk over the heads" of their older and less
capable brethren.

This note is incomplete: there are probably important changes that
we've either already made or plan to make before the release.  See
The Roadmap -- http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/roadmap -- which is
currently out of data but we will be updating it in the coming days
to keep track of what we're doing and not doing for the next release.

tickets mentioned in this e-mail:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/379 # very large memory usage
when adding to large directories
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/406 # data corruption
(integrity failure) bug on Ben Laurie's machine