[tahoe-dev] help: how should you tell a web browser what name to use for a file?

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Fri May 9 23:24:27 UTC 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 2:51 PM, zooko wrote:
> ... there are two ways you can specify a file, either
> with its capability ... Or as the named child of a directory

By way of clearing the ground ...

Am I right that the same file may be in multiple directories,
presumably under different names?  Am I right that the
file it's self has no knowledge of what directories it resides
in; i.e. given a file denoted via a capability you can not
recover any of it's names.  Am I right that there isn't a
canonical denotation of a file, at least not in the public
API.  Or possibly put another way the r/w capability which
denotes a file shouldn't be treated as such?