[tahoe-dev] help: how should you tell a web browser what name to use for a file?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat May 10 08:31:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 12:51:51PM -0600, zooko wrote:
> Now, the problem is that in the first case, the web browser will
> think that the file's name is "URI%3ACHK%3Awaqatup4yk7dyoosuyaux6vwzu%
> 3Alzoa4c2phsp3x7ws47bofsbihjm5avxqo35qrqscgqvtwrjotyra%3A3%3A10%
> 3A313227" if you try to "save as" or to download it.

For what it's worth, in a similar situation where I had SHA checksums as
caps, I used URLs of the form:

  http://foo.bar/repository/FILENAME?sha=01234567890123456789

The FILENAME part was ignored by the server, of course, but not by the
browser.  In my opinion this also conveys the idea that the file is
inside the repository and not inside some strange directory named
"01234567890123456789".

A bientot,

Armin