[tahoe-dev] Fwd: Tahoe needed twisted

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sat May 24 15:41:28 UTC 2008

Dear AGL:

Thanks for the bug report!

What version of Ubuntu is this?

> When I tried to build Tahoe, python failed to find a module called
> "components":
>
> Running Nevow-0.9.18/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
> ImportError: No module named components
> Installing twisted (from a Ubuntu package) fixed it

Hm.  I know some of what is going on here, but I don't exactly
understand what happened.

So, Nevow requires Twisted, but the Nevow setup.py file [1] does not
declare that it requires Twisted in a machine-readable way so that
our install process can know that it needs to install Twisted before
it can install Nevow.  (As an aside, I've submitted a patch to Nevow
to make it declare this dependency, but that patch is currently
blocked on someone who has control over the Nevow buildbot
configuring it to test this kind of installation: divmod ticket #2527.)

Furthermore, Nevow requires Twisted >= 2.4.0 and will give an error
on installation if an older version of Twisted is installed .
However, here is the part that I don't understand: this error message
is normally:

ImportError: cannot import name versions

Why do you get a different error:

ImportError: No module named components

Oh, I need to take the boys to the Boulder Creek Fest now, so I will
investigate more later.

It probably has something to do with which versions of Twisted and/or
Nevow were already installed on your system when you first tried to
build Tahoe, so please report which those were.

Thank you!

[1] http://divmod.org/trac/browser/trunk/Nevow/setup.py?rev=13786

tickets mentioned in this e-mail:

divmod ticket #2527: http://divmod.org/trac/ticket/2527 #