[tahoe-dev] #536: port number conflict: 8123 is (or was) used by polipo and is blocked by TorButton

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Nov 26 02:48:30 UTC 2008

> Changes (by secorp):
>  I sigh with Brian - is this really necessary? I too am afraid that
> this will cause a lot of unnecessary debugging time due to port mis-
> matches.

Hm.  The motivation for this change was because people who use
TorButton [1] will have their port 8123 blocked.  The method of
discovering that their port 8123 is blocked, figuring out why it is
blocked, and unblocking it doesn't seem to be documented or offered
in the UI, so I guess that only elite hackers like Brian Warner would
subsequently regain the ability to use port 8123.  (I base this
opinion on Brian's note to this list [2].)

I'm not strongly opposed to reverting this change, at least for the
upcoming Tahoe-1.3.0 release, but let's also consider a few ways that
the default port in tahoe trunk could be 3456 without breaking things
in our allmydata.com deployment:

1.  We could change the default in the source tree or source trees
that you deploy from (i.e. tahoe-prod and tahoe-server source trees).

2.  We could configure [3] the deployed nodes to use port 8123
instead of the default port.

3.  We could set up a port forward from 8123 to 3456 on the
production machines.

Or some combination of those three.

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2275
[2] http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2008-August/000774.html