[tahoe-dev] FUSE and Tahoe

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Thu Oct 2 23:15:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 23:04:29 +0100
rob kinninmont <robk-tahoe at allmydata.com> wrote:

> I know there are numerous people who've expressed interested in FUSE
> support for tahoe, and perhaps moreover it seems many of those people were
> unaware of the third implementation, supporting write operations which
> lurked in the 'mac' subdirectory of the source tree.
>
> Since I'm working on improving fuse support for tahoe, I'm writing this to
> raise awareness thereof, to summarise what we've got, insofar as I
> understand it, and to rally support from anyone interested in helping out.

Cool!

When I looked at FUSE a long while back (at least 4 years ago), I remember
they were just making the transition from the blocking one-request-at-a-time
simple-code lots-of-threads model to a more sophisticated
operation-id+callback event-driven system. In the subsequent python bindings,
it was never clear to me which form you'd get access to. It sounds like
they aren't entirely clear on this issue either :).

thanks!
 -Brian

PS: your dirnode caching strategy sounds excellent. I'm working on an FTP
server right now, and will probably wind up with something similar.