[tahoe-dev] Tahoe and restricting uploads

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Oct 7 23:21:57 UTC 2008

On Oct 7, 2008, at 14:18 PM, Benjamin R Welton wrote:

> I am pretty new to tahoe and i am looking at using it in one of the
> projects that i am doing.

Welcome!  Please tell us more about it.  Information about things
that Tahoe gets used for, or things that Tahoe gets considered for
and then rejected, are valuable feedback that I am hungry for.

> One of the big questions that i have about tahoe is whether or not
> there is a way to limit who can upload to the storage grid? I would
> like to keep downloads unrestricted but leave uploads restricted to
> a certain set of nodes.

As Brian explained, we don't yet have a way to do this kind of thing
for the "Tahoe client <-> Tahoe storage server protocol" -- the
protocol between one Tahoe node acting as client and many Tahoe nodes
acting as storage servers, and runs over foolscap over TLS over TCP.

However, it would be easy to make a web proxy which does this for the
"web client <-> Tahoe wapi/wui protocol" -- the protocol between any
web client and a Tahoe node acting as "gateway" and runs over HTTP.

---
http://allmydata.org -- Tahoe, the Least-Authority Filesystem
http://allmydata.com -- back up all your files for $5/month