[tahoe-dev] version advertisement and negotiation

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Oct 20 16:54:05 UTC 2008

Kind of along the lines of what Drew said, I've been thinking that
when a future Tahoe storage server says "I support LAFS storage
server protocol 2", then what it really means, and what the client
really hears is "I support LAFS storage server protocol 1, plus large
file support".  It could be expressed something like this:

supported LAFS storage server protocols:

{ 'LAFS storage server protocol 1': { 'large file support': True } }

This would have the same meaning, and it would be more explicit for
implementors, debuggers, etc..  In particular, this would help people
understand that they shouldn't compare storage server protocols
numerically, such as the following subtly buggy code:

if server_supports_1:
     if server_supports_3:
         # Oh good, it supports 1 through 3, so we can use both 2 and
3 in this client..
     else:
         # We know to use protocol 1 -- let's just fall back to that.