[tahoe-dev] "Why Raid 5 stops working in 2009"

Aleksandr Milewski zandr at allmydata.com
Wed Oct 22 17:53:18 UTC 2008

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=162

I'm not sure I agree with his conclusion, but it's an interesting
point. Essentially he's saying that storage is now so large that you
can't rebuild a large RAID 5 with a dead drive, because the rate of
unrecoverable random bitflips is such that one or more will likely
occur in the rest of the drives, leaving you dead in the water.

And thus RAID-6 is necessary for large RAIDs if you actually want to
recover. Or, something like tahoe, which is really application-level
RAID.

-Zandr