[tahoe-dev] behavior of an immutable file repairer

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Mon Oct 27 15:23:40 UTC 2008

Looks good to me. You might add a note about what happens when
verify=True and corrupt shares are detected (specifically that we
can't automatically delete the share, so it is announced in the
results, so someone can manually investigate). Also, it sounds like a
server with a corrupt share is excluded from receiving any new shares
(they become a distrusted server), which is a reasonable policy, but
could be made slightly more explicit in the docstring. Also also, you
might note the bandwidth costs of the different modes: verify=False is
"dumb"/"trusting", but I expect we would run it more often than
verify=True to save an N/k*filesize download cost.

Also, we should consider adding a timeout argument to these methods,
to deal with servers who lock up and never respond to a query. We've
had this happen in the production grid before. The Foolscap timers may
be enough, but their values must be set with care, especially if the
client is behind a slow connection, to avoid false timeouts, so a more
direct timeout policy might be better.

Incidentally, I added code the other night to give downloading/
verifying clients a channel to advise the storage servers about
corruption detected in their shares (a new method in the
RIStorageServer protocol) so we don't have to rely upon somebody
acting upon the CheckAndRepairResults information.
I added calls in immutable download.. feel free to use it in immutable
verifier too.