[tahoe-dev] Getting Tahoe into Debian

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Thu Oct 30 00:03:14 UTC 2008

> It seems like it would be useful if the "tahoe" package could work
> immediately. How about if we (Allmydata) seed an open free grid that
> clients point to by default? Their node could be a default client of that
> grid (no_storage by default) and they could immediately see things work.

Eh.. I disagree. Having a package that automatically connects to a service is
fine, but it shouldn't be the standard one. I think the "tahoe" package
should provide a tool but not automatically do anything with it, and some
additional package on top of that could automatically connect you to a
service. Or, we could put an easy-to-run script in the tahoe package's docs/
directory, which would create a node that connects to that free grid, but the
script should not be run by default.

Otherwise, people who want to use tahoe to run a friendnet, or to connect to
a service of their own choosing, would have to install the "tahoe" package,
track down whatever account it automatically created, figure out how to
delete that account, turn off that node, then find out how to create a new
node for the account they actually care about.

Something like:

 % sudo apt-get install tahoe
 % python /usr/share/doc/examples/join-allmydata-test-grid.py
 Welcome to the AllMyData test grid!
 Since ~/.tahoe doesn't already exist, it is being created.
 This will connect you to the free grid run by allmydata.com.
 See URL for more details.

 Node created.
 Node started.
 Point your browser at http://localhost:8123/ to get started!