[tahoe-dev] change install.html to use setup.py instead of Make?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Sep 17 17:26:00 UTC 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Brian Warner wrote:

> The current setup.py -oriented process is:
>
>  1: python setup.py build_tahoe
>     (this creates the support/lib/... directory, sets PYTHONPATH/
> sys.path,
>      and runs 'setup.py develop --prefix=.. --site-dirs=..')
>  2: python setup.py trial
>  3: ./bin/tahoe SUBCOMMAND
>
> Since none of these are the same as the "traditional" setup.py
> workflow (i.e.
> setup.py build, setup.py test), I'd recommend leaving the Makefile
> in place
> (and leaving install.html referring to the Makefile) for this release.

So, eventually, when we have finished ticket #179 (rewrite our
Makefile in Python instead of GNUmake) enough, we should be able to
change install.html from saying:

"""
    1.  g++ >= v3.3 -- the "Cygwin" version of gcc/g++ works for
Cygwin and for Windows; the "Mac Developer Tools" version of gcc/g++
works for Mac
    2. GNU make
    3. Python >= v2.4.2 including development headers i.e. "Python.h"

Run 'make' to build and to install the tahoe executable into a
subdirectory of the current directory named bin.

Run 'make test' to verify that it built correctly and passes all tests.
"""

To saying:

"""
    1.  g++ >= v3.3 -- the "Cygwin" version of gcc/g++ works for
Cygwin and for Windows; the "Mac Developer Tools" version of gcc/g++
works for Mac
    2. Python >= v2.4.2 including development headers i.e. "Python.h"

Run 'python setup.py build_tahoe' to build and to install the tahoe
executable into a subdirectory of the current directory named bin.

Run 'python setup.py trial' to verify that it built correctly and
passes all tests.
"""

This would be a big improvement, in my opinion.

> The platform-dependent complexity has been removed from the
> Makefile, but we
> are still a good ways off from removing the Makefile altogether.

Yes, yes, but as I mentioned we don't need to remove the Makefile in
order to make this change to the install.html, right?

Why not make the change outlined above, right now?

tickets mentioned in this e-mail:
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/179 # rewrite our Makefile in
Python instead of GNUmake
---