[tahoe-dev] change install.html to use setup.py instead of Make?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Sep 17 21:19:13 UTC 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Brian Warner wrote:

>     1.  g++ >= v3.3, and the standard development headers and
> libraries --

Okay.

> Run 'python setup.py build_tahoe' to build and to install the tahoe
> executable into a subdirectory of the current directory named bin.
> If the
> command encounters errors (see #455 for examples), re-run it up to
> three
> times to get a successful build.

Ugh.  I would rather keep the install.html as it is, requiring GNU
make, than add this instruction, but on the other hand I would love
to remove the manual dependency on GNU make, and if we do it this way
this will perhaps encourage someone to help us fix #455, or encourage
us to fix it ourselves.

Therefore, I am ambivalent on this (in python-dev terms, I would have
to say that I am +/-1 on this :-)) and I would like to leave it up to
you how to do this for the 1.3.0 release.

Thanks!

---
http://allmydata.org -- Tahoe, the Least-Authority Filesystem
http://allmydata.com -- back up all your files for $5/month