[tahoe-dev] newbie questions ++

Alain Baeckeroot alain.baeckeroot at univ-avignon.fr
Wed Sep 24 12:26:07 UTC 2008

On Friday 19 September 2008 22:29:39 Brian Warner wrote :
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:16:40 +0200
> Alain Baeckeroot <alain.baeckeroot at univ-avignon.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello
>
> Welcome to the list!
>
> > We just discovered Tahoe and are curious to try it for our internal
> > use, for a cheap, easy to install, and redundant distributed archive
> > system.
>
> Excellent!

Thanks for all your precise answers.

We are going to test it with CLI and _with_ AES as it seems to be required.

Some more questions (we are paranoiac, and afraid of losing everything)
- Is there a known "single point of failure" (initiator server... ?).
   If yes, is it possible to workaround it ?

- What kind of tests should we do to push the system to the limits, and
 check how robust it is ?
  We think of "normal" tests:
  * concurrent read/write of different files
  * use server with different available free space.
  * filling filesystems to 100%
  * Maybe we can try with a big number of machines (100~1000 mainly windows)

- more generally, are there known/supposed issues we should test ?

Regards.
Alain.

Btw , i found this link about GPU for AES encryption (0.1 ~ 8 Gbits/s)
http://www.manavski.com/downloads/PID505889.pdf so if it is performance
critical there is room for improvements :-)

http://allmydata.org/tahoe-figleaf-graph/hanford.allmydata.com-tahoe_speedstats_rate.html .