[tahoe-dev] using the volunteer grid (dogfood tasting report, continued)

Lazy Stream mr.monkey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 00:15:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM, David Triendl <david at triendl.name> wrote:

> Node A
>    ReliabilityGroup ["Europe", "Germany", "Berlin", "Jon Doe", "server1"]
> Node B
>    ReliabilityGroup ["Europe", "Germany", "Munich", "Some Person", "server1"]
> Node C
>    ReliabilityGroup ["America", "USA", "Texas", "somebody else", "my big storage rig"]

As you might imagine, the Tor people have worked on this problem, too.
See e.g. section 2.2 of
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/tor/trunk/doc/spec/path-spec.txt. This
has been a topic of discussion on their development mailing list, too
(of course).

I like their lightweight heuristics. I don't like requiring people to
understand subtle network protocol design issues, to edit
configuration files, to understand and make complex reliability vs.
availability vs. $other_concern trade-offs, and so on. My previous
posts to this list probably let you guess that already. :)

Other potential lightweight heuristics include: AS number,
geographical region/type, political system. E.g., always store data on
at least 3 nodes, each of which is in a different AS. Always store
data on at least 3 nodes, each of which is in a geographical region
that suffers different types of disasters. Et c.